Back

ⓘ Aeronca C-3




Aeronca C-3
                                     

ⓘ Aeronca C-3

Its design was derived from the Aeronca C-2. Introduced in 1931, it featured room for a passenger seated next to the pilot. Powered by a new 36 hp 27 kW Aeronca E-113 engine, the seating configuration made flight training much easier and many Aeronca owners often took to the skies with only five hours of instruction - largely because of the C-3s predictable flying characteristics. Both the C-2 and C-3 are often described as" powered gliders” because of their gliding ability and gentle landing speeds.

C-3S original pig design was drastically altered in 1935 with the advent of the" widow”-3 master. Retaining the tubular fuselage frame construction, the C-3 master featured a smaller vertical stabilizer and rudder s" to fill in the” shape of the fuselage, which created new" widow” appearance and improved the airflow over the tail. With a closed brake, cabin, and wing light still cost extra in the 1935 C-3 Master was priced at only 1.895 $ - only a few hundred dollars more than the primitive C-2 of the 1930-ies. Low price led to significant sales, 128 C-3 masters were built in 1935 430 s-3S built in ALL, and 500-y plane Aeronca also off the line in the same year.

Version C-3 with fabric-covered ailerons instead of metal, designated in series 100, were built in England under license by light aircraft Ltd. working in the aeronautical Corporation of great Britain Ltd. but the expected sales did not materialize - were produced before production was stopped only 24 of the British buildings.

The production of C-3 was halted in 1937 when the aircraft no longer met new U.S. government standards for airworthiness. Many of the C-3C features - a strictly external wire-braced wing without the wing struts a direct connection wing panels with the fuselage, extensive fabric construction, single-ignition engine, and lack of an airspeed indicator - were no longer allowed. Fortunately for the Legion of owners of the aircraft, a" grandfather clause” in Federal regulations allowed their airplanes to continue flying, although they could no longer be manufactured.